Best Water Test Kits
Two worthwhile recommendations
Before deciding what kind of water filter system you need for your home, you must first fully understand what is in your water—and what shouldn’t be there. Home water testing kits are inexpensive and they can save you money in the long run by helping you buy the right water filtration system. You can test your own water or you can send water samples away to be tested in a laboratory.
There are several worthwhile water testing kits you can use to determine the level of contaminants in your water:
The PurTest Home Water Test Kit, a home water quality test kit you can do at home costs about $30 and includes:
- test results sheet
- bacteria test
- pesticide test
- lead test
- 2 nitrate tests
- 2 iron tests
- 2 alkalinity tests
- 2 copper tests
- 2 chlorine tests
- 2 pH tests
- 2 nitrite test
- 2 hardness tests
The e-WaterTest Water Testing Kits – Priority 100 Water Testing Kits comes with sample containers and instructions. The lab returns you a professional analysis of test results. Kits are able to test for:
- E. coli and other bacteria.
- Inorganic chemicals like iron, manganese, arsenic, lead and mercury.
- PCBs (poly chlorinated bi-phenols).
- VOCs (volatile organic compounds) like benzene, toluene, xylenes, dichloropropene and chloromethane.
- Pesticides like DDD, simazine, endrin, chlordane and a-BHC.
- Many other impurities.
These units cost about $145 and take about 4 weeks to receive results.
The WaterSafe All-In-One Do-It-Yourself Drinking Water Test comes complete with everything you need. This tests for:
- Bacteria, including strains of E. coli that can cause serious illness or death.
- Lead, which can cause developmental damage in children or neurological and kidney damage in people of all ages.
- Pesticides, linked to high cancer rates. Carcinogens like atrazine and simazine, two of the most common pesticides in the U.S, are tested for.
- Nitrates/nitrites, common in fertilizers and animal waste can result in serious developmental problems in children.
- Chlorine and its by-products, which increase cancer risk. It also tastes bad.
- Hardness of water that can cause lime scale and dry skin.
- pH levels. High levels of acidity in water can cause the breakdown of plumbing and appliances.
This unit retails for as low as $14.35.
All three of these testing kits can be found and ordered online.After you have analyzed water you can decide the best filter for your needs. If there are a lot of impurities in your water, a whole home water filtration system may be good for you, but a good water test kit can help you understand your needs first.